Sausage and Bean Soup
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 Italian Sausage links sweet or spicy
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes not drained
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp prepared pesto
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pasta (ditalini, tortellini, etc)
- 3 oz. fresh baby spinach (1/2 bag)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble (mini meatball size pieces). Add sausage pieces to the sauce pan and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Mix in tomatoes (and juice), beans and pesto. Stir to combine well.
- Add chicken broth and turn up heat to medium high. Heat until broth is just starting to boil.
- Add pasta and boil until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in spinach to wilt. Season with salt and pepper if needed.