Sausage and Bean Soup
Italian Sausage and Cannellini Beans – a simple homemade soup that only takes about 30 minutes. You can use sweet or hot sausage and any type of pasta you like. It’s perfect for warming up on a cold winter day!
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 Italian Sausage links sweet or spicy
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes not drained
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp prepared pesto
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pasta (ditalini, tortellini, etc)
- 3 oz. fresh baby spinach (1/2 bag)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble (mini meatball size pieces). Add sausage pieces to the sauce pan and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Mix in tomatoes (and juice), beans and pesto. Stir to combine well.
- Add chicken broth and turn up heat to medium high. Heat until broth is just starting to boil.
- Add pasta and boil until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in spinach to wilt. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
If making this recipe ahead, don’t add the pasta or spinach until just before serving. Reheat the soup and then add the pasta and finish with the spinach. This would be good with a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on top too!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!