Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash ~1-½ lb. each, cut in half and seeds cleaned out
- 1 Tbsp. canola or grapeseed oil divided
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ lb. ground bison
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce seeded
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese or Colby Jack
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- avocado slices optional
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Brush cut edges of the squash with 1 tsp. oil and place squash, cut side down on sheet.
- Roast squash for 25 -30 minutes, until knife pierces skin without resistance.
- While squash is roasting, heat remaining oil in large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and bell pepper to pan and cook until just soft (~5 minutes).
- Add ground bison, paprika and ground pepper and cook until meat is cooked.
- Mix in chipotle peppers and quinoa.
- Take squash from the oven and turn over (the edges should be golden brown). Add ¼ of the bison mixture to each squash half. Top with 1 Tbsp. shredded cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Top each ½ with pumpkin seeds and garnish with avocado slices.