Stuffed Acorn Squash
With just a little heat and a hint of smokiness the ground bison filling pairs deliciously with roasted acorn squash. Perfect after a day of raking leaves or hitting the pumpkin patch!
- 2 acorn squash ~1-½ lb. each, cut in half and seeds cleaned out
- 1 Tbsp. canola or grapeseed oil divided
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ lb. ground bison
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce seeded
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese or Colby Jack
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- avocado slices optional
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Brush cut edges of the squash with 1 tsp. oil and place squash, cut side down on sheet.
- Roast squash for 25 -30 minutes, until knife pierces skin without resistance.
- While squash is roasting, heat remaining oil in large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and bell pepper to pan and cook until just soft (~5 minutes).
- Add ground bison, paprika and ground pepper and cook until meat is cooked.
- Mix in chipotle peppers and quinoa.
- Take squash from the oven and turn over (the edges should be golden brown). Add ¼ of the bison mixture to each squash half. Top with 1 Tbsp. shredded cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Top each ½ with pumpkin seeds and garnish with avocado slices.
The filling can be made a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Just add to the squash halves before cooking. You may need to add 10 minutes to the cooking time to bring it to the right temperature.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!