Toasted Walnut Arugula pesto is a delicious variation to the classic basil pesto with pine nuts.
Pine nuts have been a little difficult to find and are expensive so walnuts are a delicious change of pace. Toasting them beforehand really brings out the flavor of the walnuts and gives the pesto a little smokey flavor.
Arugula has a nice peppery flavor that gives this pesto a little bite. This sauce is delicious on top of grilled salmon, tossed into pasta, or on top of crostini with a little goat cheese.
Try it in a pasta salad, like my Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad – it added a nice peppery bite to it!
This sauce comes together in no time! Just toss a few ingredients in your food processor and you have a delicious sauce ready to mix into pasta, add to a sandwich, or make into a dip.
Toasted Walnut Arugula Pesto
- Food Processor
- 2 cups arugula washed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Place arugula, garlic, walnuts and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well chopped and blended together.
- With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil and lemon juice through the feed tube and puree until completely combined.
- Remove the top and add the parmesan cheese. Close and puree until completely combined.